The Louis Bacon Environmental Fellowship at HKS
As part of a series on fellowships available to HKS-ers we’ve compiled all of the information for the Louis Bacon Fellowship at HKS into one convenient place (just for you!).
(Note: We are not affiliated with Harvard in any way, and make sure to double check any of the information posted here. Sometimes things change, don’t make use your only source!)
The Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Program brings together emerging leaders dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment. The program connects fellows with highly accomplished national and international leaders, providing them with the skills to:
- Foster sustainable environmental impact
- Build cross-sector partnerships to accomplish key goals
- Inspire new ideas an innovative change in the policies and programs that safeguard natural resources and promote a healthy global ecosystem
This program is a game-changing opportunity for scholars and practitioners eager to take up the mantle of environmental leadership and stewardship for the rising generation.
How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to Harvard Kennedy School: Application deadline is December 1, 2015.
Step 2: Apply for the Fellowship: Application deadline for the Bacon Fellowship is February 25, 2016.
Applicants must submit:
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae, not to exceed 2 pages in length.
- A document containing written responses to the following two prompts:
- Please discuss a topic you are passionate about and its personal significance (1,000 words or less).
- Please discuss briefly your interest in the Louis Bacon Environmental Fellowship and how your experiences and goals have motivated you to apply (200 words or less).
- Two letters of recommendation specifically supporting your candidacy for the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship. The letters must be in PDF form, signed by the referrer and on letterhead indicating the referrer’s institution/organization. Recommendation letters must be received by the deadline date for the application to be considered.
Finalists for the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship will be asked to come to Harvard Kennedy School (if in the U.S.) or call in for a phone interview with members of Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship Selection Committee.
- Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are awarded a full tuition scholarship and health fees for up to two years, depending on the length of their graduate degree program.
- Fellows are eligible for a stipend up to $10,000 for up to two years depending on their graduate degree program.
- Applicants will be considered based on their excellent academic credentials and a demonstrated focus on developing leadership abilities to impact environmental public policy and practice. CPL seeks a diverse cohort of fellows with emerging leaders from the government, business, and NGO communities dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment.
- Fellows will participate in a robust cocurricular program offered by the Center for Public Leadership.
- This fellowship is open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs. Students pursuing a joint degree at HKS and another Harvard graduate or professional school or those in concurrent programs at other approved universities or schools may also apply.
- The fellowship will be open to all admitted master’s degree program students and will not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or national origin.
Fellows are selected based on outstanding merit and a demonstrated interest in developing leadership abilities to impact environmental public policy and practice. CPL seeks a diverse cohort of fellows with emerging leaders from the government, business and NGO communities dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment.
Awards will not exceed demonstrated financial need as determined by the Harvard Kennedy School’s Student Financial Services. Students in two-year degree programs will receive funding for both academic years contingent on the successful completion of the first year.
The Fellowship Experience
Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are a part of the Center for Public Leadership’s community of graduate fellows and will participate in an enriching co-curricular experience designed to enhance their skills and engage their development as emerging leaders in environmental public policy and practice. The co-curricular program typically includes a welcome retreat, a weekly series of speakers, workshops and seminars, a field experience and opportunities to connect with other Center for Public Leadership fellows and alumni.
About Louis Bacon
In addition to serving as founder and CEO of Moore Capital Management, LP, Louis Bacon has been advocating for more than twenty years for conservation and protection of natural resources in the US and abroad. An avid outdoor sportsman, Bacon developed a reverence for the natural world, which spurred his lifelong passion for land and water conservation. In 1992, he founded the Moore Charitable Foundation to support nonprofit organizations with a focus that included land and water conservation. Since its inception, the foundation has provided significant funding to more than 200 local, national, and international conversation organizations.
Does the fellowships selection committee have access to my Harvard Kennedy School admissions materials?
The Louis Bacon Environmental Fellowship Selection Committee does not see the personal statements, transcripts, or letters of recommendation submitted to the HKS admissions committee, only the documents submitted on this form.
May I apply to more than one fellowship?
Students may apply for multiple fellowships at CPL, but we encourage applicants to think about which fellowship aligns with his/her experience and goals.
Where do I send my fellowship application materials? Where do I send my fellowship recommendations if sent separately by the referrers?
All students’ application materials go to the Financial Aid office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions regarding the Financial Aid site or general application should be directed to Student Financial Services. CPL may only accept those letters sent separately by recommenders.