We’ve been sharing some incredible opportunities over the last few weeks for those of you who are interested in business school. We spotlighted both The Consortium and the Forte Foundation, which if you haven’t read yet, be sure to catch up! This week, we’re shifting our focus to those of you who are interested in law school. Without further ado, we present the…
SEO Law Fellowship Program
The Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Law Fellowship Program is an academic fellowship and internship program that targets Black, Latino, and Native American incoming law students who show both exceptional promise and demonstrated accomplishments in their undergraduate and professional careers. By becoming a SEO Law Fellow you will have access to:
- A paid internship at a top law firm with a salary up to $1,625 per week
- Experiential learning that provides a hands-on look at the practice of law
- Increased confidence going into law school stemming from first-hand exposure to the practical side of law through workshops, mentorship, panel discussions and networking opportunities with attorneys from SEO’s partner law firms
- Academic prep through SEO’s Law Institute, which is an intensive law school preparatory program designed to support academic performance in law school
- Orientation and training that provides guidance on corporate etiquette, law firm culture, legal writing and more
The Fellowship The SEO Law Fellowship program is a 10-week program that takes place during the summer from late May-late July/early August depending on the start date. Accepted students will spend two weeks in New York City learning the ins and outs of law at the SEO Law Institute. The Institute is an intensive program that is designed to prepare Fellows for law school and entry into the field of corporate law. Once the two weeks has come to an end, all students will begin an eight-week internship. Following the conclusion of the internship, students will head off to law school! The Internship SEO Law Fellows will observe and experience first-hand the day-to-day duties and responsibilities of attorneys at some of the top law firms in the country. SEO places Fellows at prestigious law firms in Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus (OH), Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Orange County/Newport Beach (CA), New York, San Francisco/Palo Alto/Menlo Park, Washington D.C. and Wilmington (DE). During these internships Fellows will learn the important skills necessary to become a corporate lawyer, including attention to detail, superlative communication skills, as well as the analytical ability to understand the application of the law to a client’s business objectives. Fellows will also gain experience as both transactional attorneys, as well as litigators, as most corporate lawyers are categorized in either field. And as if comprehensive preparation to excel in your legal studies and career wasn’t enough of an incentive to apply, please read on! The Scholarship SEO Law also offers three scholarships per year to promising Black, Latino, and Native American incoming law students to attend the school of their choice. Awards are as follows:
There are certain requirements to be considered for a scholarship from SEO.
- Minimum LSAT: 155
- Minimum Undergraduate GPA: 3.50
- Must answer the following essay prompt in 500 words or less:
- One of SEO’s values is giving back. It is not about you, but those who came before you, and those who will come after you. Please explain how you’ve applied this principle to your life to date. (Note: This essay prompt may change from year to year so be sure to check on SEO’s website for the most current information)
The Application If SEO sounds like something you might be interested in (which let’s face it, who wouldn’t be?), then we’ve got the information on who should apply. Although all Black, Latino, and Native American students are encouraged to apply, all students must have:
- Graduated from or be graduating from an accredited, four-year, U.S. College or University, or foreign equivalent.
- Taken the LSAT and plan to attend law school in the U.S. starting in the fall of the year in which they plan to do the internship.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Although students do not need to be admitted into a law school by the time they apply to SEO, students do need to submit proof of enrollment prior to acceptance into the Fellowship Program.
SEO looks for the following qualities in candidates:
- A drive to succeed as evidenced by academic achievement, professional experiences, and campus involvement
- A willingness to learn and take on new challenges
- A leadership orientation, strong interpersonal skills, and ability to thrive in team environments
- Professionalism, maturity, and strong communication skills
- Business acumen, attention to detail, and comfort with financial and economic concepts
- Analytical thinking and problem solving capabilities
SEO gives students of color the opportunity to excel in law school as well as in the field of corporate law postgraduate school. SEO also gives students an impressive network of over 1,300 alumni, including over 600 who have graduated from law school in the last 10 years. If you’re ready to get started on your law school applications as well as your application to SEO, our team would love to speak with you. Click here to apply for your Breakthrough Call today!