The Art of Applying® is a woman-owned, Black-owned business committed to diversity, equity, social justice, joy, and financial abundance. We have a 10-year track record of changing the lives of people from all over the world. We help our clients get into the best graduate schools in the world and get lots of money to pay for it!
Despite our love for educational prestige and the Ivy League, there are no fancy degrees required for the position we’re hiring for right now.
Joining The Art of Applying® team as a Breakthrough Coach is an invitation to make a positive impact on peoples’ lives while earning well and doing fun and meaningful work.
We appreciate your interest and look forward to your application!
Position: Breakthrough Coach (hiring two people)
Schedule: 15-20 hours per week
We can be flexible on whether that’s days, nights, weekends, etc., but if you are only available on weekends, this role is not a good fit.
Nature of role: independent contractor
Pay: A Breakthrough Coach with strong performance should expect to earn $50+ per hour from completing calls combined with their commissions when people enroll. Once initial training is completed, a Breakthrough Coach should expect to work about 10-20 hours per week (between ongoing training and conducting calls) and earn about $2000 – $5,000+ per month.
- $10 per 15-minute Quick Call completed
- $50 per 90-minute Breakthrough Call completed
- $20 per hour for training
- $250 commission if the person purchases Hourly Coaching within 30 days of their call with you
- $500 commission if the person purchases Application Accelerator® within 30 days of their call with you
- + additional bonuses
Deadline to apply: Mon, Aug 17 at 4 pm CST — and the earlier the better
Timing of Application Process
The hiring process will happen on a rolling basis, so the sooner you apply the better. The below dates are the latest when various hiring events will happen. We respect and appreciate your interest in joining our team. You will hear from us whether you are moving on to the next hiring round or not by the deadlines listed below.
Deadline to apply: Mon, Aug 17 at 4 pm CST — and the earlier the better
Hiring Process (interviews, assessments, etc.): ASAP – Aug 31
Offers extended: no later than Tue, Sep 1
Position (paid training) begins: Thur, Sep 17
About Our Clients
Our clients are from all over the world and represent a myriad of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We would love for you to considering joining our diverse team and advancing our mission of helping the world’s emerging leaders get into their dream schools.
Most of our U.S. clients have overcome the challenges of being a member of a marginalized group such as being LGBTQ, BIPOC, and/or first-generation. Many of our clients have diagnoses that lead to learning differences such as ADHD and dyslexia.
What all our clients have in common is a burning desire to make their communities and the larger world a better place while earning well.
You can hear directly from our clients how we have helped them by watching many of the videos or reading the client case studies on our blog.
About Our Founder & CEO
Hey there! I’m Kaneisha Grayson, and I’m the founder and CEO of The Art of Applying®. I’m a 2006 graduate of Pomona College, and a 2010 graduate of Harvard Business School and Harvard Kennedy School.
I grew up in a low-income, high-crime neighborhood in Austin, Texas. My parents grew up as migrant farmworkers in Florida, and they were first-generation college graduates. I am a first-generation professional (meaning first generation in my family to go to graduate school) and I plan to be a first-generation multimillionaire.
I started The Art of Applying in my Harvard apartment in 2010. It’s since grown from just me and a laptop to a purposeful, profitable, and process-driven thriving business.
My team and I help high-achieving students and professionals from around the world apply to the world’s top graduate schools to study business, public policy, law, urban planning, public health, education, and design.
About The Position
Our signature program is called Application Accelerator®. It’s a months-long bootcamp that teaches applicants everything they need to know to get into the world’s top graduate schools and get money to pay for it.
We also sell Hourly Coaching, which is where an applicant can purchase a bundle of hours and use them flexibly for coaching calls, editing, or asking questions via their client portal.
As one of my Breakthrough Coaches, you would be the first point of contact for prospective clients. Prospective clients book a 15-minute Quick Call with you. The point of that call is to quickly assess if the person might be a good fit for our services. After that, the prospective client will book a 90-minute Breakthrough Call with you.
While the vast majority of sales positions require cold calling, this position does not involve any cold calling. Even better than that, the people you will be speaking to for Quick Calls and Breakthrough Calls will have paid to have that call with you!
During the Breakthrough Call, your job is to listen to the potential client’s story, ask them lots of questions to understand their strengths, weaknesses, and worries (we’ll give you the questions to ask and give you lots of training), and then invite them to work with us if you are 100% confident we can help them solve all of their problems and that they’d be a great fit for working with us. Once you invite them to work with us, you would address their doubts and fears one by one about enrolling in the Application Accelerator® or Hourly Coaching.
To be clear, you don’t need a fancy college or graduate degree to excel in this role, because you would not be the person advising the client on how to apply to graduate school; you would serve as the gatekeeper for our amazing program. You would be helping people cross the bridge of fear, so that they can go from confusion to clarity.
I’m looking to hire, train, and mentor two super-committed people who are passionate, persuasive, energetic, optimistic, committed, and resilient to speak to these eager and excited prospective clients and help me decide if the client is a great fit for our program as well as help the right people commit to working with us on their grad school applications.
If you want to…
- make great money while making a difference and crafting a fulfilling career on your own terms
- work from home. We’re a remote team—even when it is isn’t a global pandemic. You can be located anywhere in the world for this role as long as you have consistent high-functioning internet and we’re able to find enough hours of overlapping time for coworking and communication.
- have in-depth conversations with 5-10 people every week who are excited to talk to you. The Quick Calls are 15 minutes long and the Breakthrough Calls are 90 minutes long.
- do absolutely NO cold calling. The people you’ll be speaking with want to speak to you and have paid to speak to you.
- feel proud of the work you do and the way you are helping change lives
- work on a fun, collaborative, diverse team
- receive guidance and mentorship from a successful Harvard Business School & Harvard Kennedy School-educated entrepreneur who will deeply care about your success…
- work with coworkers who you learn from and love to hang out with virtually
…then this position might be for you!
Apply to join our team if you have these qualities:
- You are available to work about 15-20 hours per week. This is not currently a full-time role.
- You can handle working in a lucrative, commission-only role. This role is a commission-only contract role.
- You value education. You don’t need fancy degrees for this position, but you cannot be a person who thinks that college or grad school is a waste of time.
- You are a positive person. You know how to find the good in challenging situations. Hearing “no” or “I need to think about it” several times a day can be discouraging, and you need to be able to bounce back from rejection and bring your full self to the next call.
- You like persuading people. This is a position where you will get told no or “I need to think about it” a lot. You need to be able to persevere through rejection. This role is great for people who are energized by the challenge of persuading and influencing people.
- You are a person who follows through on her/his commitments. You don’t jump ship or give up when things get hard.
- You like speaking on the phone. You know how to connect and communicate well with people you cannot see face-to-face.
- You like people. You do not have to be an extrovert for this position, but you must like speaking with people (on a 1-on-1 basis), connecting with people, and helping people.
- You are detail-oriented and methodical. Each call will be with a different person with their own particular story, triumphs, and challenges, but there will be a SCRIPT and a METHOD that you must stick to for EVERY SINGLE CALL.
- You are an honest person with high integrity. You must be willing to turn people away who are not a good fit for our program, even it means that you won’t get a commission for that sale. Making sure we work with the right people (and not just with anyone) has to be more important to you than making as much money as possible.
- You have consistent access to reliable internet and a quiet place to work. Our team is remote, so you’ll need your own laptop and reliable internet connection. You’ll also need a quiet and private place (such as a home office) to conduct your calls.
How to apply:
Fill out the application below.
(Note: The question that asks you to upload your DISC profile is REQUIRED. The field set as not required so that you can send in your DISC results separately if you are having trouble submitting your application without including it.)
Breakthrough Coach application:
deadline: Mon Aug 17 at 4 pm CST
After reading the entire description above, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, and we’d be happy to answer them.
KDG Ventures LLC dba The Art of Applying is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender identity, disability, medical condition, AIDS/HIV, age, genetic information, marital status, family status, political activities or affiliation, military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, assault, or stalking.